A case report details the death of a teen who died as a result of inhaling deodorant spray to get high. Experts warn of the potentially dangerous consequences of misusing common household products. In a case report, authors describe the death of a year-old in the Netherlands who inhaled deodorant to get high. Evidently, the teen had been admitted to a rehabilitation center for cannabis and ketamine abuse, and had a history of psychotic symptoms. Unfortunately, it was during a relapse last July that he took a towel over his head and inhaled deodorant spray to get high.
Netherlands teen dies after inhaling deodorant spray to get high - SFGate
Reuters Health - The death of a Dutch teen serves as a grim reminder of the dangers associated with inhaling common household products, such as spray-on deodorant, keyboard dusters and whipped cream. In the U. Inhalant abusers use one of three methods to ingest the volatile substances that will give them a brief high: direct inhalation, known as sniffing; inhaling through a piece of cloth, known as huffing; and bagging, which involves breathing the substance in through a plastic bag or balloon. Hydrocarbons, which are used in aerosol-spray household products, are what cause the short-lived high. Michael Lynch, medical director of the Pittsburgh Poison Center at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pennsylvania, who was not involved in the case report. The effect usually lasts a few minutes. Then people will do it again or move on with their day.
Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome Kills With One Puff
You will also find information on spotting the signs and symptoms of substance use and hotlines for immediate assistance. Treatment for addiction takes many forms and depends on the needs of the individual. In accordance with the American Society of Addiction Medicine, we offer information on outcome-oriented treatment that adheres to an established continuum of care. In this section, you will find information and resources related to evidence-based treatment models, counseling and therapy and payment and insurance options. The recovery process doesn't end after 90 days of treatment.
Hanging out with other patients in a drug rehabilitation center in the Netherlands, the year-old decided to get high. He had been admitted after abusing cannabis and ketamine, a medication used in anesthesia, but without access to common drugs, he tried something else - draping a towel over his head and inhaling butane from a deodorant spray can. The account comes from a case report published Thursday in the BMJ, which states that the teen had gone into cardiac arrest. When paramedics arrived, they used defibrillation, shocking his heart six times, before transporting him to a hospital in Rotterdam, where he was placed into a medically induced coma.